NWO Golf Links
TAMARON COUNTRY CLUB
the Sunningdale Golf Course located on Alexis
Road. In 1972 Anthony Fuhrman’s father, a
prominent Toledo attorney and avid golfer,
purchased the property and renamed it.
Tony Fuhrman remembers one of his first jobs
as a young boy was using a hand sickle to chop
weeds at the club. Now, 43 years later, Fuhrman
is still involved in the day-to-day operation of
the historic golf club as its owner and general
Golf was expanding in popularity in Toledo, as
well as, across the country in the 1920’s. Private
clubs, like the Inverness Club, had sprung up in
the early 1900’s, but with the exploits of Bobby
Jones and the great Walter Hagen, golf became
more appealing to the working-class.
With demand on the upswing additional pay-
for-play courses were built in the Toledo area
to meet consumer needs. The original nine
holes at Ottawa Park, the first public golf course
west of New York, was opened in 1898 and the
second nine was completed for play in 1922.
Still more courses were needed to satisfy public
demand and in 1926, Sunningdale Golf Club
opened for play.
The club survived the economic downturn and a
financial crisis of its own in 2009. It is currently
enjoying a reawakening and has renewed its
commitment to Toledo-area golfers to provide
an enjoyable round of golf for its patrons.
Like any vintage wine or piece of art, Tamaron
has survived the test of time and is committed to
continuous improvement in the future to satisfy
Club Has a Rich